Medication Policy

In compliance with current policies recommended by the Kansas State Department of Education, the Kansas Association of School Boards, and the Kansas Nurses' Association, U.S.D. 230 will not administer any non-prescription (over-the-counter) medications without a parent's written permission. Medication may be given with verbal permission over the phone at the nurse's discretion, but this will need to be followed up with written permission from the parent.

Prescription Medications

When medications prescribed by a physician are needed at school, the school nurse or other authorized personnel may administer the medication under

the following conditions:

  • The medication is in the original container with the student's name, physician, current date, name of medication, dosage, and method of administration.
  • A consent form signed by the parents and the physician must accompany all prescription medications.
  • Inhalers and Epipens must be accompanied by a note from the physician stating that the student has been instructed in its use and is authorized to carry the medication at school.

Prescription Medication Authorization Form

Non-Prescription (Over-the-Counter) Medications

High school students may carry a small bottle of their own non-prescription (over-the-counter) medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or antacids (Tums). However, all other medications must be kept in the nurse's office. All medications must be in the original container.

Students must never give or share any type of medication or drug with other students. The principal will have the final authority to revoke the student's privilege of carrying his or her own medication if necessary.